Galin G. Luk
Mr. Galin G. Luk joined CWL in 2002 and became a partner in 2009. Mr. Luk specializes in the areas of insurance defense, business disputes, contract actions, personal injury, construction defect, asbestos, environmental, admiralty and maritime, inland cargo claims, collections and lemon law defects.
Mr. Luk is an experienced trial attorney who has litigated bench and jury trials to defense verdicts in federal and state courts and arbitrations to verdicts on behalf of plaintiffs. He has also successfully represented clients in international arbitration and mediation. Mr. Luk is admitted to practice law in all of the state and federal courts of California.
Prior to joining CWL, Mr. Luk attained the rank of Captain serving in the United States Marine Corps. Mr. Luk litigated felony and misdemeanor jury and bench trials and administrative hearings as the Chief District Attorney and then as the Senior Public Defender for Marine Corps Air Station, New River. Mr. Luk prosecuted and defended Marines and Sailors charged with homicide, sex related offenses, larceny, drug distribution, and various other offenses. Upon completion of service, Mr. Luk was awarded the National Defense Service Medal and the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal.
While in law school, Mr. Luk served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Christopher Klein, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge and as an associate editor for the Journal of International Law and Policy.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial, Maritime, Environmental, Construction, Asbestos Defense, Creditors’ Rights and Employment Law and Litigation
- J.D., University of California at Davis (1998)
- B.A., San Francisco State University (1995)
Memberships & Admissions
- State Bar of California
- All state and federal courts of California
- Maritime Law Association of the U.S.
- Asian American Bar Association of San Francisco
- San Francisco Marine Claims Association
Pro Bono Service
- Past Editor, American Legion, Cathay Post # 384 Newsletter
- Editor and Author, American Legion, Cathay Post # 384’s 82nd Anniversary Yearbook
- Third Vice Commander, American Legion, Cathay Post # 384
- Former Director, Board of Directors for the non-profit Chinese Historical Society of America
- Director, Board of Directors for the non-profit Chinese American Heroes
- Youth Court Judge, McCullum Youth Court Judge, alternative sentencing for youth offenders
- Mr. Luk also regularly gives presentations on industry topics to professional organizations and businesses
- Co-counsel defending a major marine construction company in a Los Angeles Superior Court jury trial resulting in a complete defense verdict.
- Co-counsel defending fishing boat owner in a bench trial in Federal Court, Northern District of San Francisco resulting in a complete defense verdict.
- Lead counsel prosecuting shipping company’s breach of contract claim in arbitration resulting in plaintiff’s verdict.
- Secured summary judgments on breach of contract actions in business contract disputes.
- Represented leading container crane company in South Carolina mediation in contract dispute.
- Secured dismissals without monetary payment in mesothelioma asbestos cases based on no successor liability after plaintiff made multi-million dollar demand to settle.
- Co-counsel prosecuting Japanese defense manufacturer’s claims in international arbitration involving military defense equipment and resulting in plaintiff’s verdict.
- Represented general and sub-contractors in multi-party construction defect lawsuits.
- Represented outdoor advertising company in revenue dispute between two Southern California outdoor advertising companies.
- Represented leading marine contractors and joint ventures in personal injury defense.
- Represented financial institution in contract disputes.
- Represented contractors in business and contract disputes.
- Second chair for a financial institution in complex litigation involving a groundwater contamination site at one of Silicon Valley’s first chip manufacturing sites.
- Second chair for financial institution in 10-year groundwater regulatory proceedings involving multi-million dollar clean-up of TCE solvent contamination and successfully obtained no further action resolution from regulators.
- Second chair for financial institution in environmental indemnity case against chemical company.
- Second chair for financial institution in groundwater solvent contamination case.
- Represented vessel owner and dock owner in property damage claims.