Mr. Normand R. “Chip” Lezy joined CWL in 2015, opening the firm’s Honolulu, Hawaii office. Prior to joining CWL, Mr. Lezy was a partner in the Honolulu firm Leong Kunihiro Lezy & Benton (2000-2015).
Mr. Lezy concentrates his practice in civil trial work, with an emphasis on maritime and admiralty matters. Over the past 20 years Mr. Lezy has litigated and arbitrated cases in both the federal and state courts of Hawaii, the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the State of Hawaii Supreme Court, and the U.S. Department of Labor Office of Administrative Law Judges.
Following law school, Mr. Lezy served as law clerk to the Honorable James S. Burns, Chief Judge, Intermediate Court of Appeals for the State of Hawaii. Between 2011 and 2012, Mr. Lezy served as Chairperson of the State of Hawaii Land Use Commission.
Areas of Practice
- Admiralty/Maritime: Represented major U.S. and foreign shipping and cruise lines, towboat providers, commercial fishing operators, activity/excursion boat operators and private boat owners in the State of Hawaii as well as numerous foreign marine insurers, underwriters and P&I Clubs. Defended and prosecuted cargo, collision/allision, vessel arrest/maritime lien, hull and machinery, Jones Act, third-party longshore claims, passenger claims, U.S. Coast Guard administrative actions, Oil Pollution Act, commercial diving, vessel repair, maritime contract and marine insurance claims.
- Longshore and Harbor Workers: Represented terminal operators and stevedoring services providers in claims under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act. Represented employers in claims under the various extensions to the Act, including the Defense Base Act and Non-Appropriated Funds Instrumentalities Act.
- Insurance Coverage/Insurer Bad Faith: Represented a variety of insurers in insurance coverage matters and insurer bad faith actions.
- General Litigation: Defended clients in premises liability, motor vehicle accident, and contract matters. Represented insurers in subrogation claims.
- University of Hawaii at Manoa, William S. Richardson School of Law
- J.D., 1994
- Environmental Law Practice Certificate, 1994
- University of Hawaii at Manoa
- B.A., Political Science, 1989
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Memberships & Admissions
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, District of Hawaii
- State Courts of Hawaii
- Courts of the District of Columbia (inactive)
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Proctor Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Admiralty Practice Section