Mr. Marc T. Cefalu joined CWL in 2000 and became a partner in 2008.
Mr. Cefalu has a wide range of experience in the practice areas served by CWL. He represents financial institutions, developers, transportation, aviation and shipping entities, fishing industry interests, and business interests in both litigation and transactional matters. Mr. Cefalu’s practice also involves counseling clients in the hospitality, food and beverage industries, and representing management in employment matters.
Mr. Cefalu’s practice also includes asset-based financing, leasing, real estate, and protection of creditors’ rights, ship and aircraft finance, including mortgages, security interests, defense and prosecution of vessel arrests, California Finance Lender Law compliance, defense of lender liability issues, and enforcement of creditors’ rights in bankruptcy proceedings. Mr. Cefalu’s family is involved in commercial fishing, and prior to law school he gained commercial fishing experience working on fishing boats.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation, Business, Finance, Hospitality, Real Estate, Employment, Maritime, Consumer Protection, and Creditors’ Rights
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara (1996)
- J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California (1999)
- Editor, Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Samuel L. Bufford, United States Bankruptcy Court
Memberships & Admissions
- State Bar of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal
- All Federal District Courts in California
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Business litigation of aircraft sale transaction involving a fleet of aircraft.
- Ongoing representation of major financial institution in enforcement of its creditors’ rights.
- Representation of purchasers and sellers in aircraft and vessel sale transactions.
- Enforcement and defense of maritime liens.
- Representation of commercial real estate interests in property-related transactional and tort disputes.
- Representation of business interests and maritime interests in high exposure personal injury and wrongful death matters.
- Representation of outdoor advertising interests in business litigation.
- Representation of fishing industry clients regarding various business and litigation matters.
- Advice to Bay-area food and beverage companies collectively managing more than 40 restaurants.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Author, Consumer Protection for Pleasure Craft Purchasers in California, the U.S., and Beyond in an Ever-Expanding World Economy, Maritime and Transport Law Newsletter, International Bar Association Legal Practice Division, Vol. 14, No. 1, May 2007.
- Speaker, Western Fishboat Owners’ Association Annual Meeting, March 2004, Reno, Nevada.
- Speaker, Underwater Intervention, February 10-13, 2003, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Co-author, Diving Contractors Be Aware: Another Wrinkle in “Seaman Status,” Underwater Magazine, November/December 2002, 46.
- Co-author, Insurance for Diving Contractors, Underwater Magazine, September/October 2001, 100-01.