Duane R. Miyashiro
Cox Wootton Lerner
841 Bishop Street, Suite 1099
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: (808) 744-7020
Duane R. Miyashiro is a partner in CWL’s Honolulu, Hawai`i office. Mr. Miyashiro has represented and advised business owners, CEOs, Officers and Directors, and Trustees in various legal matters over the past 20 years. He concentrates his practice on general civil and commercial litigation, including admiralty/maritime, commercial and business disputes, real property, insurance, trust disputes, personal injury, products liability, and class action defense. He has also associated with attorneys from the US mainland and from other countries who have been admitted as pro hac vice counsel. By appointment of the Hawai`i Circuit Court, Mr. Miyashiro has served as an arbitrator in many civil cases. Prior to starting his law practice, Mr. Miyashiro served as a patrol officer in the Honolulu Police Department.
Awards & Accolades
- The Best Lawyers in America for Litigation – Real Estate (2014 – Present); Commercial Litigation (2017 – Present)
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory – Highest “AV” Professional Rating (2014 – Present)
- Hawai`i Super Lawyers for Business Litigation, Real Estate and Trust Litigation (2015 – Present)
- Class Action Defense
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
- Real Estate Litigation
- Trust Litigation
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, San Francisco, California
- B.A., University of Hawai`i, Manoa, Hawai`i
- U.S. District Court, District of Hawai`i
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The 200 Club (2002 – Present)
- Commissioner, Honolulu Liquor Commission (2017 – Present)
- Secretary, American Judicature Society (2007 – 2018)
- Chair, Honolulu Board of Water Supply (2011 – 2016)
- Pacific Century Fellows (2009)
Select Representative Matters
- Admiralty/Maritime Represented vessel owners and operators, cruise lines, shipping companies, and tug boat operators in admiralty/maritime matters, including OPA 90 claims, Coast Guard regulatory and compliance matters, passenger, crew, and cargo claims, and Jones Act, unseaworthiness and negligence claims.
- Commercial/Business Disputes Represented business owners in various matters and disputes, including breach of contract, antitrust, unfair and deceptive acts and practices, unfair competition, intellectual property, commercial landlord-tenant, limited liability company, partnership, accounting, misappropriation, non-compete agreements, and fraud and misrepresentation.
- Crisis Management Obtained temporary, preliminary and permanent restraining orders and injunctions to prevent or enjoin criminal acts for school and workplace violence, theft, and embezzlement.
- Insurance Coverage Represented insurance brokers, insurance companies, and insureds in coverage disputes and bad faith claims.
- Personal Injury/Wrongful Death: Defended property owners, resorts, shopping centers, government agencies, vehicle owners and operators, tour operators, and businesses in personal injury and wrongful death claims.
- Product Liability/Toxic Tort Defended manufacturers and distributors in in product liability actions, including matters involving pharmaceutical companies, vessels, industrial equipment, exercise equipment, and automobiles. Defended manufacturers, property owners and commercial tenants in toxic tort claims, including asbestos claims.
- Real Property Disputes Represented property owners, property managers, resorts, shopping centers, and real estate brokers and agents in disputes involving commercial and residential properties, including commercial evictions, landlord-tenant, Purchase and Sale Agreements, boundary disputes, condominiums and associations, and diversion of surface waters.
- Trust Litigation Represented and advised Trustees and other fiduciaries in trust disputes, will contests, accounting, petitions for instructions, and breach of fiduciary duty claims.